Trump drops bid to move Georgia election case to federal court

(ATLANTA) — Attorneys for Donald Trump have notified a Fulton County court that the former president will not seek to have his Georgia election interference case removed to federal court.

The move comes three weeks after a judge denied a bid by co-defendant Mark Meadows, Trump’s former chief of staff, to have his case moved.

Meadows had sought the move to federal court on the basis that his alleged actions were all performed while he was acting “under color” of his role as chief of staff.

Trump, Meadows, and 17 others have pleaded not guilty to all charges in a sweeping racketeering indictment for alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election in the state of Georgia. The former president says his actions were not illegal and that the investigation is politically motivated.

Trump’s filing on Thursday said his decision is based on his “well-founded confidence that this Honorable Court intends to fully and completely protect his constitutional right to a fair trial and guarantee him due process of law throughout the prosecution of his case in the Superior Court of Fulton County, Georgia.”

Trump last month notified the court that he may file to remove, which the new filing says was done “in an abundance of caution.”

“President Trump now notifies the Court that he will NOT be seeking to remove his case to federal court,” the filing states.

Copyright © 2023, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

SHARE NOW