TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball fielded a late comeback but came up short against ULM, 5-3, on Wednesday afternoon at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The Crimson Tide is now 16-12 on the season.
ULM got out front early, using a two-out, three-run home run to take a 3-0 lead after one inning of play. The Crimson Tide answered with two in the bottom of the third to make it a one-run affair before both teams went scoreless until the eighth. That inning saw the Warhawks plate a pair to widen the gap to three. Alabama was able to fight for one in the ninth thanks to a Zane Denton RBI-single but would come no closer as a flyout ended the game with the tying runs on base.
The win went to ULM reliever Trey Lindsay (2-2) while the loss was pinned on Tide starter Grayson Hitt (1-3). Warhawk reliever Carson Orton got the final out to pick up the save, his third of year. Alabama’s effort at the plate was highlighted by Denton. The sophomore went 3-for-5 with a double and a team-high two RBI. Also contributing a multi-hit effort was Jim Jarvis with the Tide shortstop finishing 2-for-3 with a run.
From Head Coach Brad Bohannon
“We didn’t pitch well enough early, we didn’t swing the bats well enough, and that’s not a very good formula for winning a baseball game. We showed a little fight late – which was nice – we got some hits, and William Freeman pitched really well. It’s not going to get any easier this weekend. We’ve got to clear our minds, get on a plane tomorrow and head to College Station.”
How It Happened
- T1 | A two-out walk and single put two aboard for the Warhawks. Both runners would come home one batter later thanks to a three-run home run from Danny DeSimone. (3-0, ULM)
- B3 | Jim Jarvis was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. Peyton Wilson followed with a single to put the pair on the corners. William Hamiter came through in the next at-bat with a sacrifice fly to score UA’s first run. Zane Denton then doubled to right to bring in Wilson and make it a one-run affair. (3-2, ULM)
- T8 | With two on and two down, a single to right for the Warhawks brought in a pair. (5-2, ULM)
- B9 | Pinch-hitter Will Patota singled to start the ninth and Jarvis followed with a single of his own to put two on. A fielder’s choice from Wilson put men on the corners before a two-out single from Zane Denton plated one. Sam Praytor came up and took the first pitch before sending a laser to center, but right at the ULM center fielder, to end the game. (5-3, ULM)
- Grayson Hitt made his first start as a member of the Crimson Tide.
- With his 1-for-5 afternoon, Peyton Wilson extended his hitting streak to eight games. Across that stretch, the sophomore is batting .421 (16-38) with two doubles, a triple and three home runs to go with six RBI, six runs scored and three stolen bases.
- Sam Praytor extended his hitting streak to five games thanks to a 1-for-3 effort on Wednesday. During his five-game stretch, Praytor is batting .444 (8-18) with a double, two home runs, five RBI, four runs and four walks.
- ATTENDANCE: 1,764 (SELLOUT)
The Crimson Tide will now take to the road for a three-game set in Bryan-College Station against the Texas A&M Aggies. The series will open on Friday with a 6:30 p.m. CT first pitch at Blue Bell Park. Game two is set for a 2 p.m. start with things wrapping up on Sunday at 1 p.m. All three games of the series will air on SEC Network+.
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabmaBSB on Twitter and Instagram and on Facebook at Alabama Baseball. General athletic news can be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.