TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama defensive backs Jordan Battle and Josh Jobe have been tabbed to the 2021 Jim Thorpe Award Watch List, the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced on Monday.
Battle and Jobe are part of a group of 40 defensive backs from around the country named to the preseason list. Alabama has had two Thorpe winners in program history, first with Antonio Langham in 1993. Minkah Fitzpatrick was the Crimson Tide’s most recent recipient, bringing home the award in 2017.
Defensive Back, Junior
- One of the nation’s top safeties who played a key role on the Tide defense as a freshman before taking on a starting role last season
- Played in 13 games with 12 starts to finish third on the 2020 defense in tackles with 66, including three for loss (-7 yards)
- Added four pass breakups and a pick-six that he returned from 45-yards out for a score in his sophomore campaign
- Played in all 13 games as a freshman with four starts
- Recorded 30 tackles with a pair of tackles for loss (-6 yards) and one sack (-4 yards) to go with one pass breakup, an interception and a fumble recovery in 2019
Defensive Back, Senior
- A talented corner in the Crimson Tide’s veteran defensive backfield
- Excelled in his first season as a full-time starter, earning Honorable Mention All-America honors from Pro Football Focus in 2020
- Totaled 55 tackles as a junior, including 2.5 for loss (-9 yards) and two sacks (-9 yards), while adding 11 pass breakups to go with two forced fumbles and one quarterback pressure
- Allowed one reception every 20.0 coverage snaps in 2020 to rank sixth nationally, according to PFF, and gave up just 26 receptions for 209 yards and one touchdown on 521 coverage snaps
- Began his career by playing in 14 games of the 2018 season before seeing time in 12 contests with two starts as a sophomore
The Jim Thorpe Award has been presented annually since 1986 by the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame to recognize the top defensive back in college football. The award is named in honor of multi-sport legend Jim Thorpe. The 2021 winner will be announced at the ESPN Home Depot College Football Awards Show held at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta, Ga., this December.
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaFTBL on Twitter and Facebook and AlabamaFBL on Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.