TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama football’s Phidarian Mathis and Evan Neal have been named to the 2021 Outland Trophy Watch List announced today by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA).
The two linemen are among 80 candidates from around the country named to the preseason list. Six Crimson Tide players have won the award previously, including Chris Samuels (1999), Andre Smith (2008), Barrett Jones (2011), Cam Robinson (2016), Quinnen Williams (2018), and most recently, Alex Leatherwood last season.
Defensive Lineman, Redshirt Senior
- One of the leaders on the Tide defense who has played in 40 career contests with eight starts to his name entering the 2021 campaign
- Put together a standout junior season, totaling 31 tackles with five for loss (-10 yards) and 1.5 sacks (-6 yards)
- Added three quarterback pressures, three pass breakups and one forced fumble to his 2020 totals
- Racked up 27 tackles, including half a stop for loss, to go with two quarterback hurries and a forced fumble across his 12 games of action and two starts as a sophomore
- Played in all 15 games as a freshman, recording 18 tackles and a fumble recovery on his way to SEC All-Freshman Team honors in 2018
Offensive Lineman, Junior
- Has proven to be one of the Tide’s top lineman from day one, starting every game since stepping foot on campus in 2019
- Started at right tackle as a sophomore after beginning his career at left guard
- Played 810 snaps with just six missed assignments and three penalties a season ago
- Credited with 1.5 sacks allowed while surrendering just four quarterback hurries and three pressures in 2020
- Totaled 13 starts in his first season on the way to Freshman All-America accolades from multiple outlets to go with a spot on the Freshman All-SEC Team
The Outland Trophy has been presented annually since 1946 by the Football Writers Association of America to recognize the top interior lineman in college football. The award is named in honor of All-America offensive lineman John Outland of Penn. The 2021 winner will be announced at the ESPN Home Depot College Football Awards Show in December.
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaFTBL on Twitter and Facebook and AlabamaFBL on Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.