BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Alabama men’s basketball team will host Baylor in the ninth annual Big 12/SEC Challenge, the Southeastern Conference announced on Wednesday. The Crimson Tide and Bears will go head-to-head in their ninth meeting as the two teams face off at Coleman Coliseum in Tuscaloosa on January 29, 2022. Television designations and tipoff times will be announced at a later date.
FACING THE CHALLENGE
- Alabama will make its sixth appearance in the annual event as it hosts defending national champion Baylor at Coleman Coliseum
- The two teams have met nine times with Alabama leading the series 7-2
- The Tide suffered a 73-68 loss in its last meeting with the Bears during the 2019 Challenge
- Alabama holds a 3-2 record in the Big 12/SEC Challenge, topping Texas Tech, 74-64, in 2013, then-ranked No. 12 Oklahoma, 80-73, in 2018 and Kansas State, 77-74, in 2020
- The Crimson Tide suffered a heartbreaking loss to then-No. 24 Oklahoma in last year’s Challenge, falling to the Sooners 66-61 on Jan. 30, 2021
- The loss to Oklahoma was just the second loss for the Crimson Tide in the Big 12/SEC Challenge. Alabama’s only other loss was at Baylor in 2019.
- Alabama holds a 3-0 record when playing at home at Coleman Coliseum
A LOOK AT THE BIG 12/SEC CHALLENGE
- The SEC and Big 12 will square off for the ninth consecutive year, with the two conferences going head-to-head since the 2013-14 season
- The Challenge will feature all 10 Big 12 institutions and 10 of the SEC’s 14 members
- All 10 of the SEC programs that competed in the 2020 competition will return for this year’s Big 12/SEC matchup
- The SEC won the 2021 Challenge 5-4
- The 10th matchup featuring Kentucky and Texas was canceled due to COVID-19 safety protocols by Kentucky
- The 2021 Challenge featured eight ranked teams including then-No. 9 Alabama
- In the last four years, the SEC has won the Challenge twice and tied once
- This will be the seventh year that a bye in the league schedule for participating teams was created to accommodate the single-day format
- The first two years of the Challenge were played over several days in November and December, but the last six seasons have been consolidated to one single day in January
- ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU will broadcast the games, with start times and network designations to be announced
For all the latest information on the team, follow AlabamaMBB on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General athletic news can be found @UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.