TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama softball held off a late rally from Southern Miss to secure the 6-3 win Wednesday night at Rhoads Stadium.
Alabama (34-7) fell behind in the first inning after Southern Miss (20-21) scored on a wild pitch but the Crimson Tide answered right back in the bottom half of the inning to tie it at 1-1 and then went on to score five unanswered, including a four-run fifth. Leading 6-1 in the top of the seventh, the Golden Eagles loaded the bases with one out. A run scored on a fielder’s choice and another came home on a fielding error to make it 6-3 with two outs before some miscommunication on the base paths led to a game-ending pickoff between second and third.
Six different Alabama players earned a hit in the win, including multi-hit games from Elissa Brown and Kaylee Tow. RBIs came courtesy of Maddie Morgan and Kat Grill with one each and two-RBI days from Savannah Woodard and Abby Doerr. Krystal Goodman earned the win in the circle with one run allowed on three hits over 6.0 innings with six strikeouts while Montana Fouts earned her second save, securing the final out of the game.
From Head Coach Patrick Murphy
“It was another good outing from Krystal Goodman. Maddie had a key hit, Abby had a key hit and Tow hit the ball hard twice. It was good defense for the most part. Just about every player that was active today got in the game.”
- Alabama is now 14-2 all-time vs. Southern Miss, including a 10-0 mark at home
- The Tide is 22-1 in out-of-conference games this season and 5-0 in midweek contests
- Alabama is 7-5 this season when the opponent scores first
- Today’s game was the 13th multi-hit game for both Elissa Brown and Kaylee Tow, which is tied for the team lead
- It was Abby Doerr’s second multi-RBI game of the season and Savannah Woodard’s third
- Bailey Hemphill drew two walks to improve her career total to 211, just one shy of Auburn’s Kasey Cooper at third in SEC history
- T1 | The Southern Miss runner at third scored on a wild pitch (0-1, 2 Out)
- B1 | Savannah Woodard drew a bases-loaded walk (1-1, 2 Out)
- B3 | Maddie Morgan pulled an RBI double down the right field line (2-1, 1 Out)
- B5 | A bases-loaded single from Savannah Woodard moved everyone up 60 feet (3-1, 1 Out)
- B5 | Abby Doerr hit a two-run double in the left field gap (5-1, 1 Out)
- B5 | A throw home wasn’t in time as Woodard scored on the fielder’s choice (6-1, 1 Out)
- T7 | A run scored on a bases-loaded fielder’s choice for the Golden Eagles (6-2, 1 Out)
- T7 | A two-out fielding error brought an unearned run home (6-3, 2 Out)
Up Next – Alabama vs. No. 13/No. 18 Louisiana (Tuscaloosa, Ala.)
- Saturday, April 24 – 1:30 p.m. CT
- Sunday, April 25 – 1:30 p.m. CT
For the latest information on the team, follow @AlabamaSB on Twitter, BamaSB on Instagram and Alabama Softball on Facebook. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.