TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball takes to the road for the first time this season when the 22nd-ranked Tide travels to Jacksonville State on Tuesday, Feb. 23. The Crimson Tide and Gamecocks are set for a 4 p.m. CT first pitch at Rudy Abbott Field with the game airing live on ESPN+. Following the quick roadtrip, the Tide will return home to Sewell-Thomas Stadium on Wednesday to host UT-Martin at 3 p.m. Fans can catch the contest with the Skyhawks live on SEC Network+ with the pairing of Eli Gold and Lance Cormier on the call.
Follow the Tide
Fans can follow the midweek matchups via the below outlets:
Watch: ESPN+ (Tuesday) | SEC Network+ (Wednesday)
Listen: 100.9 FM / CTSN / TuneIn App
Live Stats: JSUGamecockSports.com (Tuesday) | RollTide.com (Wednesday)
Probable Starting Pitching Matchups
TUESDAY: UA – William Freeman (R-Sr., RHP) vs. JSU – Isaiah Magwood (So., RHP)
WEDNESDAY: UA – Connor Shamblin (Jr., RHP) vs. UTM – Mitchell Ford (Fr., RHP)
- Alabama and Jacksonville State will square off for the 42nd time in series history when the two teams meet at The Joe on Tuesday afternoon. The Crimson Tide holds the all-time series advantage, 31-10, including a 26-7 mark in Tuscaloosa.
- The two teams did not meet during the 2020 campaign and last met in 2019, with the Crimson Tide claiming a pair of wins, first in Tuscaloosa and then in Jacksonville. Alabama is currently riding a three-game winning streak against the Gamecocks and is 15-5 across the last 20 pairings.
- Alabama and UT-Martin will meet for the second time in series history when the two teams square off on Wednesday afternoon at Sewell-Thomas Stadium.
- The Tide and Skyhawks met last season on Feb. 25 with UA picking up a 10-5 win in the midweek.
- Alabama has squared off with 10 of the 11 member teams from the Ohio Valley Conference, missing only SIUE. Alabama holds a 72-19 all-time record against the current OVC teams and has a winning record against each of those 10 schools. The most commonly played OVC team is Jacksonville State with UA holding a 31-10 mark against the Gamecocks.
- Alabama will call on right-hander William Freeman for the road start on Tuesday afternoon. Freeman will be followed by fellow righty Connor Shamblin on Wednesday for the matchup with the Skyhawks.
- Jacksonville State is set to start Isiah Magwood, a sophomore right-hander.
- Tennessee-Martin will look to freshman righty Mitchell Ford in the Wednesday contest in Tuscaloosa.
- Alabama began the 2021 season with a three-game sweep of McNeese. With the wins, the Crimson Tide has won 17 straight in February and owns a 30-2 mark in the month under head coach Brad Bohannon.
- The offense powered the 25th-ranked Tide to the three wins over the Cowboys, combining for seven home runs during the series – Alabama’s most on Opening Weekend since 2007.
- The Crimson Tide returned to the field for the first time in 11 months as Alabama took down McNeese, 10-6, in the 2021 season opener at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The win improved UA to 4-0 in season openers under Bohannon.
- Sophomore Connor Prielipp was impressive in his start, tossing 5.0 scoreless frames and allowing only four hits while striking out eight. The outing extended Prielipp’s streak to 26.0 consecutive scoreless innings to begin his collegiate career.
- At the plate, UA was led by Drew Williamson. The junior finished with a team-high three hits, including a double, while adding three RBI and a run scored. Also posting multi-hit efforts were Sam Praytor and Peyton Wilson, with both notching their first home runs of the season. Praytor went 2-for-3 with two RBI and three runs scored while Wilson, who recorded his first career homer, finished 2-for-4 with an RBI and three runs of his own from the leadoff spot.
- Zane Denton sent a 1-2 pitch over the wall in right to walk it off for Alabama to complete the 4-3 comeback against McNeese on Saturday. Denton’s homer capped off a late-inning push by the offense as the Crimson Tide scored all four of its runs across the final three innings.
- Denton got Alabama on the board in the seventh with an RBI-single and was followed by a two-run home run from Owen Diodati in the eighth to even things up at three apiece. Denton finished 3-for-4 with the home run, two RBI and a run scored while Diodati’s game-tying homer added two RBI and a run.
- The Crimson Tide was able to stay in the game thanks to a strong effort from Landon Green and Chase Lee. The duo totaled 3.0 scoreless frames with four strikeouts with Lee picking up his first win of the season.
- Alabama used the long ball once again as three home runs powered the Tide to a 9-5 win over McNeese on Sunday afternoon to complete the sweep of the Cowboys.
- The duo of Diodati and Denton homered for a second consecutive day with Williamson contributing a home run of his own. Diodati finished with a team-high four RBI thanks to his grand slam while adding two runs to match Denton for the team-best mark in that category. Denton’s homer came as part of a 3-for-4 effort that included two RBI to go with his pair of runs. Williamson recorded his first home run of the season, a solo shot.
- Alabama returned 20 letterwinners while losing 12 from the 2020 squad. The 2021 Crimson Tide welcomed back six positional starters and 10 total pitchers while hosting 14 redshirts or newcomers.
Alabama welcomes Wright State to Tuscaloosa from Feb. 26-28 to close out the month. The Crimson Tide and Raiders are set for a 3 p.m. first pitch in the opener followed by a 2 p.m. start on Saturday at The Joe. Things wrap up on Sunday at 1 p.m. with all three games airing live on SEC Network+.