BATON ROUGE, La. – The No. 1 Alabama football team beat LSU 55-17 in Baton Rouge, La., Saturday night in Tiger Stadium. With the win, Alabama improves to 9-0 on the season and clinches the Southeastern Conference West title, while the Tigers drop to 3-5.
Alabama took control from the very first drive, coming away with touchdowns on its first five possessions and scoring on every possession of the first half, leading LSU 45-14 after two quarters and totaling 469 yards of total offense. Alabama finished the game with 650 total yards, including 385 passing yards and 265 rushing yards.
Averaging better than 28 yard per catch, DeVonta Smith rolled up 231 receiving yards on eight receptions against the Tigers, with 219 of those yards, along with three touchdown catches, coming in the first half. His three scores extended his SEC and school record for career receiving touchdowns to 38.
Najee Harris also tallied three touchdowns, all on the ground, and totaled 145 yards rushing. Mac Jones finished the night with four touchdown throws and 385 yards on 20-of-28 passing.
The Tide defense held LSU to just 98 yards rushing. Will Anderson Jr. and DeMarcco Hellams led the way for UA with eight tackles each. Anderson also came away with two of Alabama’s five sacks, while Christopher Allen forced and recovered a fumble against the Tigers.
How It Happened:
- 11:56 – UA | Harris weaved his way through the LSU defense for a 14-yard touchdown on the Crimson Tide’s opening drive.
- 05:50 – UA | Harris crossed the goal line from a yard out for his second touchdown of the night. The score capped a five-play, 85-yard drive that lasted just 2:02.
- 02:27 – UA | Jones found a wide open Jahleel Billingsley in the corner of the end zone for a 24-yard touchdown pass.
- 14:53 – LSU | TJ Finley found Kayshon Boutte on a quick pass for a 44-yard catch-and-run. Boutte fumbled the ball at the goal line with Jontre Kirklan picking up the fumble in the end zone to get the Tigers on the board.
- 13:36 – UA | Jones found Smith deep behind the LSU coverage for a 65-yard touchdown pass. The receiving touchdown was Smith’s 13th of the season.
- 12:32 – LSU | John Emery Jr. found a hole on the outside and took the rush 54 yards for a Tiger touchdown.
- 11:14 – UA | Alabama answered right back with a three-play, 75-yard drive that lasted just 1:18 and ended with 61-yard Jones-to-Smith touchdown.
- 03:20 – UA | Will Reichard hit a 30-yard field goal to add to the Tide lead.
- 00:46 – UA | Smith made a one-handed catch in the corner of the end zone for a 20-yard score to make it a 45-14 game at half.
- 03:39 – UA | Harris rushed for an 11-yard score, his third rushing touchdown of the evening.
- 00:31 – LSU | Cade York hit a 52-yard field goal to give LSU its only points of the second half.
- 10:50 – UA | Reichard hit from 34 to stay perfect on the season and add three points to the Alabama lead.
Alabama will conclude the regular season at Arkansas Saturday, Dec. 12 (rescheduled from Dec. 5) in Razorback Stadium. The network and kickoff times are still to be determined.