AUBURN, Ala. – Halfway through its 10-game homestand, No. 24/23 Auburn softball (10-1) puts its undefeated home record on the line welcoming Troy, Southern Miss and Southeastern Louisiana to Jane B. Moore Field for the Auburn Invitational.
The Tigers open the tournament with a tough in-state test against Troy (13-3) on Thursday. The Trojans received votes this week in both the USA Today/National Fastpitch Coaches Association Top 25 Coaches Poll and the ESPN.com/USA Softball Collegiate Top 25 Poll. First pitch is set for 5 p.m. CT.
Friday’s schedule features a doubleheader against Southern Miss (11-5) with first pitch scheduled for 2:30 p.m. CT. The Tigers will Southeastern Louisiana (7-6) in a doubleheader on Saturday that is also scheduled for a 2:30 p.m. CT start.
“Troy is very talented,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “They have one of the top pitchers in the country. Last time we played them was two years ago, and it was a close ball game. We expect it to be the same this time. Southern Miss and Southeastern Louisiana are very similar. They’re what I like to call ‘blue-collar kids.’ They’re coming to battle.”
Thursday’s game against the Trojan will be available on the SEC Network+ with Wiley Ballard (play-by-play) and Mark Fuller (analyst) on the call. Friday’s doubleheader with the Golden Eagles will also be on the SEC Network+ and features Auburn’s radio broadcast duo of Brit Bowen and JJ Jackson.
All five of Auburn’s contests over the Auburn Invitational can also be heard on the Auburn Sports Network.
The Tigers are coming off a 5-0 weekend with wins over Jacksonville, Murray State and IUPUI during the Tiger Invite. Auburn’s pitching staff allowed just one run over 35 innings at the tournament for a team earned run average of 0.20.
- Auburn looks to remain undefeated at Jane B. Moore Field as the Tigers continue their homestand with the Auburn Invitational. The Tigers welcome Troy, Southern Miss and Southeastern Louisiana for the three-day tournament.
- Justus Perry is just 18 putouts shy of becoming just the sixth Tiger in program history to record 1,000 career putouts. She is also just four hits shy from her 100th career base knock.
- Tossing her second no-hitter in three weeks, SEC Freshman of the Week Maddie Penta is the first Auburn pitcher to toss multiple no-hitters in the same season since Marcy Harper (2) in 2014.
- Auburn and Florida are the only SEC schools to have two players ranked in the top eight in earned run average. The Tiger freshman duo of Shelby Lowe (0.36) and Maddie Penta (0.85) rank fourth and eighth, respectively.
- The Tiger pitching staff allowed just one run over the Tiger Invite to bring the team ERA 1.21, which ranks 14th in the country.
GAME DAY INFORMATION & COVID PROTOCOLS
Auburn Athletics announced reduced capacity at Jane B. Moore Field to begin the 2020 season. Ticket information has been emailed directly to 2020 softball season ticket holders as well as students. Available and unavailable seats are marked accordingly.
Face coverings (over the nose and mouth) will be required for all spectators and gameday workers upon entry and while inside Jane B. Moore Field. Guests may remove face coverings while actively eating or drinking.
Directional signage, stanchions and barriers will be installed to facilitate six-foot social physical distance at entry gates, concourse pathways, concessions and merchandise queues and seating areas. Physical distancing will be maintained throughout the facility to the fullest extent possible.
All transactions for concessions and merchandise at Jane B. Moore Field will be contactless and cashless (credit/debit and Tiger Cards only).
Enhanced cleaning and sanitization procedures throughout the park prior to and during all games will be in effect for the 2021 season.
Additional information related to health and safety guidelines for Jane B. Moore Field can be found at auburntigers.com/softballgameday.
In the final tune up before the start of Southeastern Conference play, Auburn will make the short trip to Troy, Ala., for a rematch with the Trojans on Wednesday, March 10. First pitch on ESPN+ is set for 6 p.m. CT.