TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama baseball travels to Birmingham to take on UAB at Regions Field on Tuesday evening. First pitch of the matchup between the Crimson Tide and Blazers is set for 6 p.m. CT with the game streaming on Conference USA TV ($).
Follow the Tide
Fans can follow Tuesday’s game via the below outlets:
Watch: Conference USA TV ($)
Listen: 100.9 FM / CTSN / TuneIn App
Live Stats: StatBroadcast.com
Probable Starting Pitching Matchup
TUESDAY: UA – Connor Shamblin (Jr., RHP) vs. UAB – Brady Greene (R-Jr., RHP)
- Alabama and UAB will meet for the 80th time in series history when the two teams square off on Tuesday night at Regions Field to start this season’s home-and-home split. The Crimson Tide holds the all-time series advantage, 54-25, including a 19-10 mark in Birmingham. That total includes the Tide’s 5-2 record at Regions Field.
- The two teams were originally scheduled to meet on March 2 but weather that day forced a postponement. The last meeting between the two in-state foes came on March 10, 2020. Alabama claimed a 13-7 win at Regions in what would be both teams’ final game before the season was officially canceled due to the pandemic.
- Alabama will send veteran right-hander Connor Shamblin to the hill on Tuesday evening. Shamblin will be making his 11th appearance of the season and sixth start overall.
- UAB calls on right-hander Brady Greene for the start. Formerly at Alabama, Greene will get his first start of the season and will be making his team-leading 16thappearance overall.
- Alabama wrapped up the week at 2-2 across the team’s four games. The Crimson Tide first took down North Alabama, 8-6, on Tuesday night before falling, 1-2, in a weekend series at Kentucky.
- The Crimson Tide completed the comeback against North Alabama for an 8-6 win on Tuesday evening at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. The two teams were knotted up at three apiece after two innings of play.
- North Alabama plated two in the sixth to take the lead before the Tide answered with a pair in the bottom of the seventh to set things even once again. The Lions added one in the top of the eighth, but a three-run home in the home half pushed UA in front for good for the eventual 8-6 win.
- Alabama’s offense was led by Sam Praytor. The Tide’s designated hitter wrapped up his night 3-for-4 with a double, a home run, four RBI and one run scored. William Hamiter finished behind him in RBI with two, with both RBI coming on Hamiter’s go-ahead, two-run single in the bottom of the eighth.
- Chase Lee picked up the win, working the final 1.2 frames and striking out the side in the ninth for his team-leading sixth victory of the season. Alabama’s bullpen was tasked with throwing 8.2 of 9.0 innings on the night, highlighted by Lee’s effort.
- Tyler Ras was dominant on Friday as the junior’s impressive start helped Alabama to a 10-1 win over Kentucky in the series opener.
- Ras picked up his team-high tying sixth win with 7.0 innings of one-run baseball. He worked a career-high 99 pitches, striking out six and allowing only three hits while issuing zero walks. He was followed by Hunter Ruth, with the Tide reliever tossing 2.0 scoreless frames with three punchouts to secure the win.
- Alabama’s bats totaled six extra-base hits – none of which were a home run – racking up four doubles and two triples on the way to 10 runs.
- The Crimson Tide’s effort at the plate was led by Owen Diodati who finished 3-for-4 with a double, two RBI and one run scored. Matching Diodati in RBI were Hamiter and Praytor. Hamiter tripled and added a team-high tying two runs to go with his RBI while Praytor finished 1-for-4.
- Alabama suffered a pair of losses in Sunday’s doubleheader with Kentucky.
- The Crimson Tide fell, 5-2, in game one of the twinbill. Kentucky got on the board first with a pair of runs in the third. The Wildcats then added three more in the bottom of the fifth to make it a 5-0 ballgame. Alabama posted a pair of runs in the top of the sixth on a two-run home run from Diodati but would get no closer, falling in the day’s first game.
- Dylan Smith suffered the loss, allowing four runs on 11 hits with six strikeouts.
- The Crimson Tide then fell, 11-0, in game two on Sunday. Kentucky used seven home runs to secure the series-clinching win.
- UAB finished the pandemic-shortened 2020 campaign at 7-9 overall. The Blazers were set to host Western Kentucky for a three-game series to open Conference USA play when the season was officially canceled.
- Perry Roth is in his first season as the head coach of the Blazers. Previously an assistant at UAB, Roth is joined on his coaching staff by assistants Adam Revelette and Daniel Furuto along with volunteer assistant Thomas Lowery.
- The Blazers were selected to finish 12th overall in Conference USA in the league’s preseason poll, as voted on by the conference’s head coaches.
Alabama returns home to Sewell-Thomas Stadium for a weekend series with Missouri from Friday through Sunday, April 30-May 2. Things get started on Friday at 6 p.m. followed by a 2 p.m. open on Saturday afternoon. The series will wrap up on Sunday with an 11 a.m. first pitch. The first two games will air live on SEC Network+ with the series finale getting national attention on SEC Network.